Board of Directors Responsibilities and Qualifications
Golden View Classical Academy is looking for additional community members interested in being a part of our Board of Directors. We are currently looking for individuals with strong backgrounds in accounting, finance, marketing, and/or human resources. Please review the qualifications and opportunities available and complete the form below.
The Board of Directors will:
- Ensure the School’s vision and mission are being followed.
- Select the school leader.
- Provide proper financial oversight.
- Ensure adequate resources.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability.
- Ensure effective organizational planning.
- Recruit and orient new Board members and assess Board performance.
- Enhance the School’s public standing.
- Determine, monitor, and strengthen the School’s programs and services.
- Support the school leader and assess his performance.
Individual Board members will:
- Attend all Board and committee meetings and functions, such as special events.
- Be informed about the School’s mission, services, policies, and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Serve on committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the School, if possible.
- Inform others about the School, be an ambassador.
- Suggest possible nominees to the Board who can make significant contributions to the work of the Board and the School.
- Keep up-to-date on developments in education and charter school issues.
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
- Refrain from making special requests of the staff.
- Assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the school’s annual financial statements and monitoring academic progress.
Board of Director Qualifications
- Candidates for the Board of Directors must read the following books to develop an understanding of a sequenced, content-rich curriculum and the vision behind Golden View Classical Academy
- Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong by William Kirkpatrick
- The Schools We Need and Why We Don't Have Them by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- A Classical Education for Modern Times by Dr. Terrence Moore
- Candidates must support the Core Knowledge sequence and the Golden View Classical Academy curriculum, mission, vision, and philosophy
- Candidates must embrace the ideals of classical education
- Candidates must attend a tour of Ridgeview Classical Schools in Fort Collins, Colorado (this will be coordinated by Golden View Classical Academy).
Standing Committees of the Board
The following are standing committees of the Golden View Classical Academy Board of Directors:
School Academic Accountability
The School Accountability Committee (SAC) is required by statute and monitors the academic progress of the school. The SAC is also responsible for the Unified Improvement Plan (UIP), created annually, and a parent satisfaction survey.
Finance and Audit
The Finance and Audit Committee monitors the financial position of the school and assists in developing the school budget and preparing for then annual audit. The Committee recommends policies and procedures. Members of this Committee require a financial background.
Development and Fundraising
The Development and Fundraising Committee is responsible for fundraising for the school by pursuing grant opportunities and other giving.
The Governance Committee is responsible for recommending policies to Board and screening and recommending new Board members.
The Board will create additional ad-hoc committees and task forces as needed.